Thursday, February 17, 2011

FIRE and the issue of personal responsibility

The first time I lit up fire fans, late night during a camping retreat
organized by the first group I performed with. (photo by Vinny Gasper)

Note: I was also not very sober, but I was being very safe, had a small army
of friends ready with fire blankets, and it was an amazing first burn.


Just the fact that there is a "fire scene" at all in my city is kind of annoying. There are enough assholes as it is here - we don't need an unusually high number of said assholes also thinking they're hot shit by lighting a bunch of things on fire. Unless it's been an event sponsored by a group I'm involved in, I have a tendency to not want to participate in, as well as actively avoid, things like spin jams on the other-fucking-side of Philadelphia. I guess it's also true that with the amount of time I have spent rehearsing actual planned, choreographed fire performances, the last thing I want to go to in my free time is somewhere to spin more fire.

There I am again, getting all high and mighty on my big flaming horse. Want to know what tipped me off? A post in a Facebook group that someone added me into (gotta love social media) by an old housemate of mine. It wasn't even recent - but it involves fire spin jams, and it's been winter - so it was still right there. Right there under my nose, waiting four months to annoy the crap out of me.

I even hate the word "spin jam" - it kind of reminds me of the word "jam band" and I kind of hate it like I used to hate the word "blog." (I have since reconciled with "blog" - as you can see, I have two and I'm currently writing in one. It must be o.k.) Maybe you don't know what that is, a spin jam. Let me enlighten you. (Your life will change forever.)

No, it won't. I lied. At it's best, a spin jam is an enjoyable gathering, generally at a park in nice weather, where groups of fire spinners can come together and take turns lighting up in front of their peers. It's practice, and a social event, and a place where people can learn, ask questions, try new things, and so on. This is of course not always exactly how these things pan out, but that's the general idea. Fire, while I appear to be somewhat blase, is a very dangerous, and very exciting medium to work with - and it is not for everyone. Like any "underground" activity, it attracts a strange breed - and an interesting mixture - of "burners", performers, artists, musicians, and all their friends - and on, and on. I could go on forever, (and the thought of that kind of makes me want to vomit.)

These events apparently happen often enough in Philly to warrant a Facebook group with 123 members.

I'm personally friends with a significant number of these members. I tried to find an exact number, but to no avail. I know almost every single one of the 9 administrators, and I'm decent friends with the majority of them. Despite my self-admitted weird fire issues (more to do with social anxiety than the actual medium) I love it - I love that I stumbled upon this beautiful world of avant-garde performing, I love that it thrives here so easily, and I love that I have SO many extremely talented friends to work with.

I'm also very quietly full of opinions, and that's why I created this outlet. I don't really have any enemies, or people that hate me (I think.) I try and be really nice to everyone I meet, and even with ex-housemates, the beef is more to do with respect for my friend and landlord than personal one-on-one problems. (I also had a kind of terrible experience working closely with them, and think their entertainment/nightlife promo "business" is frankly, a joke.) They have also engaged in what I consider bad business etiquette, with a spotty history of underpaying performers at their gigs (or not paying them at all.)

That aside, I just very much dislike generalized restrictions on personal freedoms in public arenas due to someone else deciding it falls under the veil of "disrespect."

"
Hey everyone. How about we do Wednesdays AND Sundays every week? (until it gets too cold). For some people, weekends are better. For those who have been actively setting up these jams for the past few months, Wednesdays are preferred. We don't all know the same fire spinners. We don't all have the same schedules. I wan...t to practice as much as possible. SO, if one day works for you, great. If both work for you, even better. More fire! I would just like to ask that everyone who attends these jams please be respectful, do not drink alcohol, do not bring/do drugs, do bring fuel & duvys, AND be experienced in fire safety. If you do not understand fire safety, find someone to teach you. Today and tomorrow are looking rainy, hopefully I'll be spinning with you all soon. ♥"

The preceding post, dated back in September (users name withheld) is the reason why I started this in the first place - because while I agree (of fucking course) that if you're fucked up, you shouldn't be doing a lot of things (and one of those is spinning fire) - but to go so far as explicitly prohibit harmless recreational enjoyment in a culture that is known for its tolerance and acceptance just seems wrong. "Please be respectful..." to.... you? If I drink a beer and then I spin fire, I am being disrespectful to... you? Would it be MORE disrespectful if I perhaps, accidentally flung my lit fire fans toward your ponytail? I want to point out also that I am not condoning getting wasted and spinning fire - that is irresponsible and dangerous, and retarded to boot. It's like partying all night and then getting behind the wheel of a car thinking you're sober enough to drive. I'm irritated with the idea that someone with no real authority* feels the need to make a self-righteous, generalized assumption in a public group forum about what they consider "respectful." This recommendation is coming from one individual, and is grossly exaggerated. This is not about babysitting - the people involved are adults. Personal responsibility is everything in this kind of situation, and not to diminish the importance of safe and responsible fire spinning - but lay off, bitch.

(I'm attacking this because I have a bias against this person, it's true. I fully admit that I, for many reasons, have longstanding personal beef and I'm dragging this into the equation. BUT - I'm still annoyed and this is my fucking blog, so get over it. ) (*If you can call being a group page administrator authority on the subject, then I take it back.)

I understand that this cautionary request doesn't necessarily come from a bad place. We as a community of artists need to maintain respect from the authorities (police, fire department) and as a whole, ensure that any avenue used to display or practice our craft is as safe as possible. Yes - absolutely. Safety first. Always... however, if you, the individual, can't determine yourself what your limits are, you shouldn't be engaging in whatever activity you're doing in the first place. If you're the type of person who smokes a joint and then suddenly their basic motor skills are rendered useless and complex motor skills (as in spinning fire) are totally out the window - then maybe you a) shouldn't be smoking pot and b) shouldn't be spinning fire.

Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment